It was a good thing we did this trial run. The first thing we discovered is that turkeys are HUGE! We did the two smallest ones and they dressed out to over 21 pounds each! They are also VERY strong. It took a lot out of me to handle birds that size.
- I had to buy a plastic kitchen size trash can and cut a hole in the bottom to use as a restraining cone -- they were that big.
- The birds barely fit into the scalding pot - I know the bigger ones won't so we'll have to pour the hot water into another vessel
- The birds are too big for the plucking machine. If I used all of my strength to control the amount of weight on the plucking "fingers", I could get just some of the easier breast and back feathers off. The wing feathers need to be pulled by hand, one-by-one. The feather shafts are HUGE.
- I had to use a heavy meat cleaver to cut off the neck
- It's very hard to find freezer bags big enough for this size bird -- and when you do, you have to buy a case of 500.